-
February 15th, 2003, 02:48 PM
#1
Inactive Member
No, this didn't happen, but I'm wondering if it ever will? Do you think a big company (Miramax, Columbia, etc.) will ever buy a super 8 feature and blow it up and release it nation wide? It's happened with video (Blair Witch) and with 16mm (El Mariachi). I doubt it will ever happen, the super 8 would have to play into the story (POV, homemovie, documentary, etc.) I was just thinking big. What are your thoughts?
Corey
-
February 15th, 2003, 06:22 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Many moons ago, I read that Miramax had plans on releasing Richard Linklater's "It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books?, which he did entirely on S8 and predates his first film "Slackers".
Hopefully one day it will be released.
-
February 18th, 2003, 03:55 PM
#3
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Corey:
No, this didn't happen, but I'm wondering if it ever will? Do you think a big company (Miramax, Columbia, etc.) will ever buy a super 8 feature and blow it up and release it nation wide?
Corey</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think this has been covered before...the only film I know that was 100% super-8 then blown up for release is "1991: The Year Punk Broke" directed by Dave Markey. It didn't have a real wide release but it was picked up for distribution because of the Sonic Youth/Nirvana/Ramones connection. I saw it in L.A. when it played the Nuart theater at midnight to about 1000 punks. I think it was actually shot using Super-8 sound carts. Not the best film in the world but interesting in that time-capsule sorta way.
Check this out:
http://www.geocities.com/wegotpower/...punk_dirt.html
-
February 18th, 2003, 06:01 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Kidnapped (1978, 60 min.) Mitchell's first film, a stark unedited recreation of Andy Warhol's Vinyl, this super-8 film purports to be the story of bored terrorists who kidnap a businessman. Stars Mitchell, Anya Phillips, Patti Astor and Duncan Smith among a crowd of hip poseurs talking sex, manners and politics. A classic look at the No Wave ennui ideal.
Found at:
http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Don't know much about the above film.
I can't find the link, but there was a French film, shot in NYC released last year on a blowup, I believe, and if anyone can remember the web address, it's a really cool site.
Lucas
-
February 19th, 2003, 01:53 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Yeah that film is I am Josh Polonski's Brother and the link is http://www.mk2.com/josh/lesite.html
I'm hopefull too I'll be able to get Ibn My Image shown in a cinema here in Brisbane - but it won't be a blow up - but a video projection off a dvd I think -- and I'm not holding my breath for a national release! :-)
Scot
www.mango-a-gogo.com
-
February 19th, 2003, 02:15 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Kodak has an article about the film too, only problem is--it's in Korean!!! > [img]tongue.gif[/img]
http://www.kodak.co.kr/KR/ko/motion/...polanski.shtml
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 18, 2003 10:32 PM: Message edited by: seekaee ]</font>
-
February 19th, 2003, 04:28 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Very interesting...Not only was that article written for Dirt magazine, but it was done by no less then Spike Jones, who's now a big-time director.
-
February 19th, 2003, 03:29 PM
#8
Inactive Member
I've heard about this Josh Polanski movie for the last couple of years...it seems like some sort of holy grail...has anyone actually seen it?
-
February 19th, 2003, 10:23 PM
#9
Inactive Member
You could get that translated here
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
but I think you'd have to have the Korean character set loaded on your computer first - if anyone has (or wants to load it on and try it) - why not cut and paste the translated text here so we can read it :-)
- Or when you go to the original movie's site you can translate the French with the Babel fish link --- I think a few people have seen it (Basstruc?) and wrote some reviews on it in one of the forums - I think the comments were it was very grainy (too grainy maybe - I think it was shot with 200T) - I've done some searches and can't find any of the posts though
Scot
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks